Wednesday 21 September 2011

THE DAY AFTER IN TURKU

Two Sundays ago, after that wedding, was spent in Turku as it took us a few hours before we could start driving home. Those weddings tend to last late...

I've actually been quite little over to Turku but Eddi studied there during the nineties. Also, as you perhaps can tell, he does not really like to be in the focus of the camera.


We went to see the Alice in Wonderland Exhibition in Logomo; it's the biggest exhibition of contemporary photography over here so far and it's part of the Turku being (one of the? Not sure) design Capital(s) in Europe this year. (Helsinki is giving back by being World design Capital next year).


We found the first red leave of the season on our way there! Then I noticed that rather many trees were red already, which is strange since they have quite not turned yet at home, not even during this week. And there's not exactly a difference in climate between the cities. Well, nature worked in mysterious ways…


Here's Eddi doing fashion blogger outfit pose; I asked him to take a photo of me but I usually do a test shot first.


Those by-the-wooden-gate shots did not work out so here's me in my clothes (yup, not naked) above the railroad instead. Btw I'm wearing a shawl with a belt instead of a jacket. Quite nice when it's a-little-but-not-yet-that-cold.


Then we saw the exhibition. I can't say I'm a huge fan of contemporary photography per se ; it is such a wide concept - some artist and some works I like, others not.
Snapping photos of one's own was forbidden due to copyright so here's some of the pictures trough the internet instead: my behind (the censored version); the Ateileri boudoir shoots, among other Ateileri O.Haapala photos were displayed at the exhibition.


They also had a Tom of Finland retro perspective there. (You should know your Tom of FInland, at least a little bit. He has inspired a lot of things.) Interesting and oh so nasty!


I've seen lots of pictures of the Logomo café in different interior magazines and we had coffee there afterwards. Yes, very design-y and rather fresh, but as with many other impressive things it gives me a headache thinking of the actual work behind the piece. That somebody actually had to work there with X amount of black tape and stripe the whole place; walls floor ceiling and furniture. Not a good thing to think about on that kind of Sunday.


(Btw have you ever though about the fact that it is nearly impossible taking a photo of somebody eating wihtout having that person look like a moron. But never mind me and my sandwhich, just check out the tape-thing.)


After this I got myself a whole lot of coconut chocolate and then we walked back to the car and drove home.
Over and out!

17 comments:

ramonies said...

Using shawl instead of a jacket is very creative, I like it! Your hair looks incredible. I often bound headscarf too. Well, I'll always tell you, that you look amazing, I can't help it ;) It's nice to see you spend your sunday in an interesting way. I prefer to read posts which are showing how you live instead of just and only outfit posts. Thanks for today's one!

I've got a question. My blog is written in polish only. I'm wondering if you will visit me sometimes if I start writing in english too? I'm not pushing you to do this (to visit me) of course, do what you want :) I just wanted to know, because you are the only one who I'd like to write in english for!

ramonies said...

P.S. I forgott to write... I like 10th photo on which there's a reflection of you in a mirror (the table):) And the last thing, I was walking around my housing estate and I noticed a lot of yellow leaves:(

Malayka said...

Wow it looks like you had a fantastic trip. I never get sick of your amazing style! I even listed you among my top most inspiring vintage fashion bloggers recently. Love it!

Julia said...

Great photos and I like very much the way you write your posts.watches

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

Love the shawl with the belt - great look.

Helga said...

That cafe gave me a slight headache at first glance!nah,I couldn't work in there!
Love,love those "vintage" nudie pix,soooo beautiful.
Tom of Finland?Yep,I'm well aware of him from my days hanging out in the prime gay area in Sydney in the 80's!I'd quite forgotten about him.Excellent work,if a little harrowing!!!
Ha,Eddi is different to my G,he's the ultimate poser!
:)

ina said...

Hangover in Turku, sounds worse than it looks like :)

Turku is together with Tallinn the European capitals of culture this year.

Miss Rascal said...

Love the shawl thing, really neat and classy.
You two always go for the best outings. I wish I could drag my man out more often.

Bugzy's Time Machine said...

I love your hair its so gorgeous. Do you have a you tube channel because you would be an amazing vintage beauty guru :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Ramonies : but I do visit your blog! I just haven't commented as IU really can't come up with anything smart since I don't understand polish :) I think you should post in the language you prefer. Of course, if you feel you would want to make it easier to international readers, you could summon things up shortly in English at the end of the post. But I think you should only do it if you feel comfortable with it.

Dahsfield Vintage ; thank you <3

Ina : yes,f irst there was the Hangover in Las vegas, then Bangkok oand now part three: Turku. I could really see that happening. Not for us though. But I'm sure it would make a world wide hit :D

Bugzy : I havent really plunged in to the www world of videos yet. But who knows, one day maybe!

Myrtha Meadows said...

Have you noticed how impossible it is to eat a big sandwich without getting red lipstick on you chin?! (If you're actually wearing red lipstick of course). I have a friend who tried to compensate for it by pressing her lips upwards while eating instead. The result was that she ended up with a red spot underneath her nose...

ramonies said...

That's a nice answear, thank you! I'm not very good at english, but from now on I'll try to write something in this language in each post. Well, I used to do it in my few old posts but I resigned. I think writing in english, even with mistakes, is kind of a learning :)

fasterfis said...

Oh hell yeah, nice reflection!!!

I make a lot of milkshakes looking just like your tattoo, when i'm at work, (The work that pays my rent, not my way funnier designer job)

Dita Von Gué said...

I Really like your Hair! You look amazing. How do you do that!? Is It possible to have a tutorial?

Anonymous said...

Your hair is lovely, as always! Turku is, by the way, the cultural capital, not design capital :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Dita Von Gué : thank you, but it's really just basic brushed out pin curls!

Anonymous : Yes of course, you're right!

hope505 said...

Did you notice your husband sort of resembles Johnny Cash in that second photo...? Maybe it's the pose!
Your pictures are always fantastic!