Wednesday 11 September 2013

RANDOM SMALL ITEMS FROM THE PAST FOUND AROUND HOUSES


While the big, main house at my family's summer stay in the archipelago is from the 1920's,  the smaller house, or, cottage actually, is from the late 1800's. The roof on the house was fixed due to a leak this summer and a piece of candy paper found, from sweets someone who opened up the roof the last time, probably in the twenties,  had been munching on. He probably didn't give much thought that his lazy gesture of just leaving the Praliné paper there would be the sour of light fascination almost one hundred years later. Well, summer houses are always filled with old items from generations back, pots and pans, that t-shirt mom ued to have that she also had in potos from before I was, old childhood toys that are still around only a bit less colorful today. But all of those are items of use and used by us, this candy paper is totally random and basically just trash, from someone unknown and long dead, but still rather sweet (in a double meaning :)


An old tin can of Bonnie Lee "it pops!"-popcorn that my sister came upon when re-organising the stashes in my grandparents' cabin. My grandmother's shelves were where you could find packages dating back to before you were born. Often with the stuff still in it... My grandparents lived, among may places, in the US in the 50's and the 60's and some bottles and jars where even from back then. Like many adults that, especially over here, lived trough ww2 they didn't really ever throw anything away.


My father-in-law brought me this old coca cola bottle that popped up from the dirt when he was harvesting a field. The text is printed on the glass and not the label. Again, funny to think someone had his or hers cola in a hot day and tossed the bottle away to then be found some thirty-fortyyears later.

Also, funny how you don't think something that happened in the eighties would be that long ago, but is already three decades away. And the oh-so-hyped year 2k is thirteen years ago... When I was a kid the fifties was that thirty-years-ago-time. I mindfuck myself by thinking about year and time like that sometimes. For example, when I was born Woodstock and the walk on the moon was twelve years ago, which not that much. Just a few years before Eddi was born. And that was the sixties. Stuff that happened in the sixties is about fifty years ago. (And that's when I go oh my.)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my oh my oh my!!!! stop it now! I feel old x

Radostin said...

I think about this quite a lot too. WWII, for example, ended only thirty-four years before I was born. When I was a kid it sounded like something that had happened so long ago, yet now, here I am, feeling pretty young myself - and thirty-four more years have passed.

Rinna Pitsiunelma said...

You should frame the candy paper in a tiny frame and put it on the wall! It's so pretty!

Anonymous said...

I think about this stuff all the time, too. It doesn't help that my parents had me late in life, so 'old' things are normal to me. I have my grandmother's nightgown from 1918, which I used to wear as a kid. It's ca-razy to think that someone I used to make breakfast with was born 113 years ago. The 1920s never seem far away when I imagine her living them. they don't seem like almost 100 years ago!!!

Anonymous said...

I get that feeling eveytime I ask some of my students if they remember something from the 80's or 90's and they tell me : I wasn't born/I was a baby back then..... :o

magnifictraining said...

Hi there,I enjoy reading through your article post, I wanted to write a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuationAll the best for all your blogging efforts.Appreciate the recommendation! Let me try it out.
Keep working ,great job!
Awesome post
Dynamics crm training

Unknown said...

I love reading you :D
I'm a beginning blogger, please look at my page and say what you think!
:* kisses

Kelly said...

You know what gets me, is how old other people are, like celebrities, Brad Pitt for example is FIFTY this year. Now that's just crazy.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Kelly: but you know what gets me even more? That pitt and Deppare fifty and you think it's not that much actually and they're still hot :D And also, how young al the other celebs are, like, born in the late nineties ;)