Sunday 29 April 2018

BOW IT!


I took a pair of sleeves and made myself a bow.

Here we have a vintage blouse that I adopted when my mother wanted to get rid of it, but that I am - lets face it- most likely never going to wear:
Unless we procrastinate a bit on everything else I have on the to-do list and tweak this one a little bit.

Snip snap off with the sleeves we go!

In general (and this is a true generalisation), short sleeves work best for me. So if an item is not being worn often enough shortening its sleeves often helps for me. You have seen me turn sleeves into pockets before on a dress and immediately earn plus points (equals wear-points) but if you can't make pockets, make a bow - in this case we will pimp up this blouse to get a pussy bow by making a ribbon from the sleeves.

In order for you to tie it properly into a bow around your neck and not just a knot (which could be quite nice as well) you need the ribbon, or tie,  to be at least about 110cm. One could make the ribbons such that they are sewn to, and begin at the front sides of the shirt, in whic case they could be shorterBut I wanted mine to be sturdy and go around my neck.

Because the sleeves are not long enough by themselves to make the tie in one (or two) I put it together of four pieces, two narrower to meet under the collar in the neck, and two that widen towards the edges, to be tied into tbe bow. You can see the seams where I sew the pieces together when the ribbon is hanging like this but it won't show when it is tied into a bow.

Hem the sleeves and voila! The shirt got wear-me points again!

So I wore it right away. Here with a RubyLea-turban and an old Zara skirt from 2009 or '10 (that does not have stretch and that I really, truly do wonder how it is possible I can still button in the waist, as it seems few other items from, umm, pre 2014 or so can be fastened without a painful inhalation, and sometimes not even that helps. Sniff.).

No comments: